Friday, January 27, 2012
Happy COOKING: Barley Risotto!
I have perfected a dish that I am so happy to share with ya'll. It's a pearl barley risotto (pearl barley is a more healthful substitute of traditional Italian risotto) with corn, carrots, yellow onion, and a few other fantastic ingredients.
I serve it alone as a main dish with string beans and fresh avocado, but it would work just fine as a side to your meat or fish. Here is the recipe. Happy Cooking!
2 cans reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth (14.5 ounces)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
coarse salt, ground pepper, and red pepper flakes (to taste)
1 cup Pearl Barley
1/2 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/2-1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 carrots, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup graded Parmesan cheese
1. Boil broth plus 4 cups of water in a saucepan, once boiling reduce to a simmer.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a sauce pan, add onions to saute until softened, add mushrooms continue until mushrooms are also softened.
3. Add pearl barley to onions and mushrooms, stirring constantly over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes. Add carrots, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
4. Ladle in about 2 cups of simmering broth, stir occasionally until liquid is absorbed. Continue until barley is tender and mixture is creamy.
5. Add chopped parsley, cheese, and corn. Stir to combine. Cover with lid so the heat stays in and frozen corn is defrosted.
6. Serve and enjoy!