Saturday, April 24, 2010
Here are a few tips for going green- anyone can do this!!
1. Don't use paper plates or plastic utensils EVER.
Once I had a party for my husband's staff- I put out 20 small plates and silver for all to use. Yes....I was in the kitchen for a good twenty minutes of the party, hand washing dishes so that I could get them out for further use...(one person even asked if she could run to the store to grab paper plates, I think she felt bad for me....obviously I said NO) but here is the best part....less trash and no wasted trees!! :)
2. Use cloth napkins.
We keep a drawer of these in the kitchen and reuse the napkins for a few days (depending on how "used" they get) and we throw them in the washing machine when they need to be refreshed. I don't have to point out the obvious, but I will...less trash and no wasted trees!
3. Unplug your computer at night.
This saves major electricity and a special bonus...it saves $90 a year on your PG&E bill!
4. Put a brick in your toilet.
This raises the water level and uses less water per flush.
5. Eat less processed food and more organic.
Processed food usually (almost always) comes in packaging which means plastic...which means more trash that doesn't decompose...EVER. Plus, eating organic is better for you body...a win, win.
Thursday, April 15, 2010
I suppose that you know your an adult when you actually take the time to list cleaning and general household products you can't live without....well, if that makes me an adult, I guess I need to accept that!! Here are my favorites...
1. Laundry detergent: All Small and Mighty
2. Stain Remover: OxyClean Stain Removing Gel
3. Toilet gel stuff: Scrubbing Bubbles Toilet Cleaning Gel (you put it in your toilet after you clean it and it keeps it fresh and clean for a week!!)
4. Fabric Softener: Downy Simple Pleasures in Lavender Serenity
5. Toothpaste: Crest 3D Vivid toothpaste (I LOVE THIS)
6. Face Cleanser: Lancome Oil Free Gel Cleanser
7. Rubber gloves: Williams Sonoma Rubber Gloves (They are amazing...I have a pair for the kitchen and a pair for cleaning- and I always give them as gifts for brides-to-be)
8. Air Freshener: Glade Plug-ins in Hawaiian Breeze (every time I go to the store, I buy more- I have new ones on hand at ALL TIME)
9. Towels: Hotel Collection white towels from Macys (they are the BEST, and some are pretty well priced and I buy them way too often- we have a million in this house)
10. Lotion: Johnson and Johnson Baby Cream (LOVE)
11. Lotion: Chanel Firming Moisture Milk (I use it every time I get out of the shower-its the best)
12. Dishwashing Detergent: Cascade Action Packs